Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Art and the Circus

At the moment, I'm really into the idea of doing a sort of abstract set--scaffolding with little decoration and a couple of circus wagon flats--so that the show could be in any time and place, like a real circus travels.  This is slightly out of character, since I'm usually not into abstract art.  But some of my favorite artists are Impressionist or post-Impressionist, and so rather than calling my ideas for the set 'abstract', I'm going to say 'impressionistic'.
Regardless, I've found that a lot of my favorite artists were also inspired by the circus.  Here are some of my favorite works!

Degas:
Miss La La in Circus Fernando

Rider at the Circus Fernando
 Lautrec:
Acrobats at the Circus

At the Circus Dressage
Tissot:
Women of Paris: The Circus Lover
Picasso:
Au Cirque

Circus Family

Seated Harlequin
Chagall:
The Circus Horse
Seurat:
The Circus
Here are a few more--not necessarily by artists I already liked, but that popped up when I was looking for the others and struck me.
Circus Boy 1872, Antonio Mancini

Circus Procession, Victor Anderson

Untitled [circus performers], Franze Kline

No comments:

Post a Comment