Friday, June 24, 2011

Look Book 1

'Look Books' are a great way to come up with ideas for the aesthetics of a show, and for this show that is particularly important.  It will also help me communicate they nonverbal picture I have in my head with the rest of my design team.  I'm meeting with our costume designer next month for the first time, and am already working with a good friend who's consulting as a dance historian for the project.  In preparation for meetings, and also just because it's fun, I've been pulling vintage images from the web (I've just discovered the magic of Flikr) for inspiration.  I've also been pulling costume research pictures from modern movies with a similar theme to the show, to look at color, costume, and lighting.  Here are some selections!
Nicol Kidman as Satine in Moulin Roughe (image from the Vogue spread)

a burlesque promo image, early 20th c

cancan dancers

Zidler and the Cancan girls, from the Moulin Rouge Vogue spread

poster for Erma Ward, 1920s circus performer

19th c(?) act

the Hogndini siblings, circus performers

Reese Witherspoon as Marlena in the movie of Water for Elephants

Gypsy Caravan, date unknown

Sally Rand, 20th c burlesquer

from Traschand's book on the 19th c circus

Vaudeville performers, early 20th c
an elephant girl, date unknown
This will be an ongoing process, but I'm excited to be starting.  I'm also beginning the choreography for the opening number.  If possible, I'd like to have it ready by the first meeting with the cast.  Yay, progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment